Here is the story :)
After my Sunday trip to the hospital all week I had contractions off and on. The doctor said to get checked no matter what if it got too bad. Friday morning I had a doctor's appointment at 9:30 and thought I'd wait until then because I had assumed the hospital would send me home unless my doctor sent me there. Well, Friday at 4 a.m. after not sleeping well most of the night, I was having pretty bad contractions. By the time the kids needed to get up from school, I was feeling terrible. Ben said he would take them to school before work for me. He kept asking if I wanted to just go to the hospital, but I kept thinking there would be no point. Finally, I said yes I do need to go, just in case. We didn't take hospital stuff because I was convinced Ben would just end up going to work and I would be at home. We dropped the kids off at school, and my mom was going to have Nathan anyway for my Dr. appt. Once we got to the hospital, my contractions were steady and not going away. I was still only at a 3-4 but was now effacing. The nurse called Dr. Maher and he said to go for it, I wasn't going to stop being in labor and the girls would be on their way today. I was surprised, but a little relieved. I didn't want to be at home in labor and then-BOOM-babies and mad dash. Dr. Maher came to break my water on his lunch break (and yes he did have a nice conversation with Ben about his finals and other law stuff-to be expected). I wasn't progressing any further with my own labor, so I got an epidural and some pitocin. That still didn't do much so they kept upping it and upping it. Finally that evening I progressed much faster (and the epidural wasn't even taking off the edge of those contractions-Oh my goodness!) By the time I was rolled into the Operating Room (standard for delivering twins even if not having a C-section) I was at a ten and Kate was right there ready to come out. After being transfered onto the SKINNIEST bed ever-thought I would fall off-, and tons of people coming into the room with huge big bright lights, Kate was out in four pushes. In the four minute time difference between their births, I has a quick ultrasound to make sure Addison was still head down, her water sack was broken and she was out as well. Most people have that tie difference between twins with a C-section, but I guess by now I know how to give birth well:) Kate was great when she came out, breathing and doing well. She was 5lbs. 4 oz. Addison was 5 lbs. 5 oz. and came out purple and blue. I got to hold Kate for a minute, but only got to touch Addison's hand through her little "bassinet."
Addison had to have help breathing, but came off her CPap Saturday morning by 7:30 a.m. Both girls have IVs and feeding tubes, but are now taking breastmilk and formula for feedings. Kate takes a bottle, but Addison does not yet. Kate has three small heart issues, but they are tiny holes that will close up on their own very well according to the Cardiologist. Kate also has had some blood pressure issues but has not had to go on medication for it yet. So they are both continuously moving forward, which is good. We will not be able to take them home with us Sunday, but are hoping it will not be too long until they can join us. Best case scenario would be one week or so. We are hoping for the best, but understand they were a bit early. Ben is down there all the time, and I went down twice today. If they did not have so many other babies in the NICU, my recovery room would have been in with them. Unfortunatley, I am one floor up, but they welcome us anytime.
We will keep everyone updated. Right now we are able to email and send updates from the free wi-fi in the hospital and lots of down time with no babies in the room.
4 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So excited for you guys! The girls are beautiful! Keep us updated on their progress. We'll be thinking of you...
Yay--- We are so happy and excited for you. What adorable baby girls. Kaci- your a birthing pro- and Im so glad you didnt have to have a c-section. Glad to hear things are going well. Cant wait to meet those Kate and Addison. =)
Congratulations to the both of you...I hope all continues to go well. Kaci, I bet you are getting the best Christmas present of all...not being pregnant and having 2 beautiful daughters!
(Did Ben make it through all of his finals without them coming?)
I am excited for you!
Congrats again! They are beautiful! I'm so happy for you guys. We will keep Kate and Addison in our prayers. I'm sure they'll be home healthy and happy!
Post a Comment