Thursday, January 22, 2009

Leading up to Kate's return home...

Kate is on the right, Addison on the left

Tuesday was a not so fun day.  Emma was crazy getting ready for school. I felt bad Kate was running out of breast milk at the hospital (the formula constipates her and then they give her awful suppositories).  I had pumped all night long Monday night trying to get enough milk together for her, so I was extremely sleep deprived.  I went down to see Kate and felt terrible.  I finally got some sleep Tuesday after picking the kids up from school.  I was sure Kate was coming home Wednesday and I didn't want to be too out of it.  Well, as I got into bed, I started shaking and was seriously cold.  I thought it was strange to have the chills.  I fell asleep long enough for the other three children to eat all over the living room (popcorn, mind you!) and make a HUGE mess.  Well, I got up and realized it was past dinner time and almost bedtime.  I was freezing cold so I got in the shower and got into some pjs to go make dinner for the kids (which they weren't too into because of all the popcorn and snacks).  I then also realized that I had a big lump from nursing (trying to be tasteful here, but you know what I mean).  I had been sore all day but didn't think much of it.  Nathan always likes to mess with the suction when I am pumping so I thought something got damaged.  Well, I took my temperature and I had a fever.  I felt terrible, and even more terrible when I realized I was getting a breast infection (mastitis).  So I put the kids to bed right after dinner.  We did no homework, stories, anything.  Ben came home from school to find me shaking severely as I am trying to pump, drink water and take care of Addison.  He volunteered to feed her with a bottle all night so I could just wake up to pump.  I climbed into bed about 11 p.m. after taking a Benadryl and tylenol (just like pregnancy days!)  At 12:15 a.m. my cell phone rang.... 
Ben answered the phone and we both almost died when it was the nurse from Sutter.  It took a minute to realize they were calling the wrong family and had meant to call someone else but looked at the wrong cell number.  So after we calmed down realizing Kate was OK, my alarm went off to pump about 20 minutes later.  Thank goodness my chills had stopped for now.  Well, by morning they were back, I had over a 102 temp and I threw up in the shower.  Great day for Kate to come home, right?
My mom took Bailey and Emma to school and took Nathan with her as well.  I called the hospital to check on Kate and they had us schedule a time to come get her.  I had until 12:30 to nap, feel better, etc...  Well, I made it.  Including getting Nathan to nap for an hour, and filling up an empty car with gas and putting Kate's carseat back together from cleaning and getting the car partially vacuumed out and showering.... You get the picture.  Well, by the time we picked her up I was much better, and my fever was down and I wasn't so sore.  By the time I got her home and settled, my fever was gone and the worst was over.  I got the popcorn vacuumed, the dishes done and clothes washed!  I won't even go into our first night with two, but it was not too fun.  I did get the kids to school with one minute to spare today. We made it!
As crazy as these last two days have been, I am still excited to have both girls home!!!  

2 comments:

Gleason Family said...

Oh, Kaci... Mastitis is THE WORST! I got it 6 times with Lydia in the first few months. A few with Landen too. I'm just really prone to it I guess. No fun though. Congrats on both the girls being home! I'm so excited for your family to be at home together- complete. :) Hang in there.... :)

Cadle Clan said...

That is horrible! I'm glad you're feeling better and hope that never happens again! I can't wait to see pics of the twins at home! It's crazy, but I know you can handle it!