Friday, March 5, 2010

Glasses for Bailey

He loves them, can you tell?  

Bailey has perfect vision, but these are prism lenses.  His eyes cannot focus on something in front of him and want to turn outward.  The muscle in his eye is not strong enough to hold the focus.  So what has been happening is that (in order to not see double since his eyes won't work together), one eye has been shutting off.  This explains how tired he gets when working hard at school or at home on homework.  Imagine only being able to see with one eye and concentrate on new things.  These glasses help bring his eyes into focus at the same time.  He will need them for the rest of his life, and they don't make contacts that will accomplish the same purpose.  

But, Bailey is in love with having glasses.  Well, for now:)  He told me today that he felt like a movie star when his teachers were admiring them.  He also told me that one of the kids at school told him glasses were dumb.  He took it pretty well since he didn't believe the kid.  :)  That's my Bailey....

The doctor will check in 30 days to see if it is working or not, and hopefully school work will get easier for him as well.  Considering he has been doing so well despite the visual issues, we are excited to see what will happen with the glasses.  I'm still not grasping the fact that he will be in 4th grade by this August.  4th grade doesn't seem that long ago for me, let alone having a kid that age. 

2 comments:

The Bradford Bunch said...

I have this same problem. I don't recall my eyes ever shutting down but I can definitely relate to having tired eyes. Bailey and I can be drifting eye friends.

Anonymous said...

Seems like bailey and his Aunt Niki have eyes issues in common. My glasses have prism in them too because my eyes do the same thing. Want to go seperate ways, adding to the double vision I've always had! Glad he seems to like them now!:) Movie Star Bailey!