Monday, February 22, 2010

It's Here/Enchilada Surprise

It's the night before the Bar, and Ben went to bed at 9.  I am still up and not sleepy at all, although I should be!  I know he'll do good, so I will distract myself with a blog post about my two sets of enchiladas on Sunday. Who doesn't like cooking for 4 1/2 hours, right?

Here is where it started...

I only took this picture to prove that I was going to eat onions.  This was the beginning step to Chicken Mole Enchiladas from the Food Network.  Never watch the Food Network at the gym because you will think everything looks delicious.  That's what I thought about these.  For the record, the onions get pureed so you don't actually realize you are eating them.  I don't eat onions, and this was going to be a first time for me.  I mean, it looked good on Food Network, right?

This is where they ended up when all made nicely in the pan...
The enchiladas, the recipe and the peanut butter...yes, peanut butter! (and Mexican chocolate)
That was the secret ingredient that I thought looked so neat and was so odd it had to be good!  I made the sauce, which was pretty involved and specific.  Then I had Ben taste it because I was scared to.  When I got the "it's fine" response, I made our friend taste it.  "Ummm..." He was confused as to what the odd taste was until I told him it was peanut butter.  So, after assembling them and having Ben give the final product a taste, this is where they ended up.
I promised him Enchiladas for the week of the Bar, so I made a trip to the Morgan's grocery store, otherwise known as the neighbor's around the corner and got her recipe for enchiladas and some extra ingredients.  Those turned out much, much, much better.  And they didn't taste like peanut butter.  I think I have to question the Food Network host's taste.  She was Hispanic and said this was so traditional, so maybe I just don't have the right taste buds. 

So no onion eating for me.  I lived another day of my life not eating one, and might keep it that way for a very long time.  Especially when your house smelled like sauteed onions, garlic and peanut butter for two days...

4 comments:

oneHeidifamily said...

Oh I am so sorry!! I hate it when you put all that time into making something, and the only place you want to, or end up, putting it is in the garbage!!
Better luck next time.
For the record, onions aren't that bad!!!! But I am sure they are an acquired taste!!
Good luck on the bar Ben!!!

The Bradford Bunch said...

I'm soooo PROUD of you! What a BIG step! Too bad it didn't turn out.

Cadle Clan said...

I love the last picture! Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

haven't you eaten onion rings in bugers before?!