Monday, July 27, 2009

We've got a Scouter!

Bailey is now a Cub Scout. He started last Tuesday since he turned 8 last Sunday. He had actually come down with the flu the day before and was still sick through Tuesday afternoon. When I told him he might have to miss his first day of Scouts, he was so upset and tried really hard to not throw up. He thought as soon as he stopped throwing up, he would be better and get to go. Well, he actually didn't throw up past noon, and was so excited. Every hour, he kept reminding me that he still hadn't thrown up again and would be just fine. Since Scouts was at 6:30, we let him go. I had visions of him coming home,his new uniform covered in puke, but he was just fine.

Daddy's turn: The background in this story is nearly as important as the story itself. Four years ago I was called as the Scoutmaster for Troop 54. I have always been an avid scouter and enjoy the program in all its juvenile glory. Bailey became so enthralled with my uniform that we got him a small shirt and put the correct patches on it. He even got to come to some of the meetings. Oddly, he was more interested and more attentive at the age of four that all the scouts in the troop put together (well maybe that is not so odd). Fast forward through four years of counting down and constantly asking when he "gets to do scouts."
There was no way he was going to miss his first meeting. He was really, really, REALLY nervous but made it through the night and came home with a balsa wood wolf figure that he colored with a ball point pen.
He did good, I am proud!

No comments: