On the way home from a Standards Night fireside for Church, Bailey and I discussed some of the things he will see or be exposed to as he gets older that will go against what we believe. He told me that there isn't a need to worry about it because of the school he attends. I quickly told him that means something, but doesn't exclude him from everything. His school is smaller and has a different crowds than the average public school, but it is still a school filled with teenagers who make their own choices. We then proceeded to have this conversation:
B: Well, there was that one time people were drinking alcohol in class.
Me: (jolted just a bit) People were drinking alcohol in class?!
B: It was a drink that only had 1% alcohol in it, but yes.
Me: Was this at lunch or after school?
B: Nope, in advisory.
Me: Just out in the open? Didn't the teachers say something?
B: No, the kids just did it.
Me: What exactly were they drinking that had 1% alcohol in it?
B: Vanilla extract.
Oh.My.Goodness. I kept from laughing harder than I wanted to. If halfway into 8th grade and this is the worst he has seen so far, I'll take it! We then went on to have a conversation about how kids do things to look cool but they are just being stupid. Because...vanilla extract?....They could have at least drank Nyquil or something....
1 comment:
Not all parents know how to, or feel comfortable with, having these kinds of conversations with their kids, or how to help them work through these feelings of concern. Heck, even if it was just 'vanilla extract,' it is still good that you as the parent was the one talking about it with them. So, GOOD ON YA!!! :)
Post a Comment